Monday, January 17, 2011

Aspiring Author Interview with Julieanne Lynch





As you all know I’ve decided instead of interviewing authors among doing reviews for their books that I’m opening my blog up to interview Aspiring Authors as well. Today I bring you Julieanne Lynch.


SDA: So let’s start with the obvious…what made you decide to write?
JL: I remember when I was about seven or eight and being totally in awe of Lewis Caroll’s Alice In Wonderland. It left me daydreaming about the possibilities of putting my own imagination on paper and that is what I did. I wrote poems, songs, and progressed to constructing some of the most bizarre work ever - well, for a child. Just ask my sisters I entertained them with my work and they still love some of my darker stories to this day. Great memories.

SDA: What kind of writing interests you the most?
JL: I have a varied taste in writing, but if I was to pinpoint it, I prefer fiction.

SDA: What are you working on?
JL: At present I am working on book 2 of my Shadow World series, Walking With Shadows. I am also, working on my first adult novel, Ice Goddess.

SDA: Do you have any habits that you keep to be able to write?
JL: Not really. The only thing that I am obsessive about it note taking. I have a journal that I carry with me everywhere. If I hear an interesting comment or see something that blows my mind, I jot it down and in most cases, I use what I see and hear as writing prompts.

SDA: Who has been your biggest influence creatively?
JL: Oh gosh, this is a hard one. There has been so many people who have influenced me along the way and none more so than my children. But, if I were to again pin point it, I would say it has been my love of Literature - why? Because, I opened my mind up to the wonderful world of the classics and used them as the foundation for my own disciplines with regards to writing. I do not try to be a 21st Century Dicken’s or Bronte, nor do I limit my creativity. I like to step through the boundaries and I love the challenges of writing outside of my comfort zone due to this.

SDA: What inspires you when it comes to writing?
JL: My mood seems to be my biggest inspiration. I enjoy where my mind takes me when I am feeling a particular emotion. I find that when I am at my lowest, when the stresses of life get to me, I produce some of my best work, simply because writing to me can sometimes act like therapy. It is almost like my writing takes on a life of it’s own and it’s something I cannot live without. Or maybe I am just kooky!

SDA: What has been the hardest part about writing?
JL: Rejection. Plain and simple. At first I felt every knock back and took it as a personal vendetta against me. It wasn’t until I got talking with other aspiring writers and established authors that we all go through the same motions. It’s a learning curve and one that makes you that bit stronger. The skin thickens and in the end, you learn to accept the rejections and move on to the next one.

SDA: What are your biggest goals?
JL: The obvious. I want world domination. But seriously, I would just be happy seeing my books in shops, libraries and if I was really lucky, being a best seller. I love to dream.

SDA: Who have you found to be your worst critics?
JL: Myself. I am very hard on myself and even when I know there is no more tweaking to be done, I still push myself and question my ability, especially when I am tired or over emotional. But the worst critic was served to me by an agent, who was the first to stick the knife in deep. Her words were, “I like your creativity, and you do have some imagination. But I fear you still need to learn to write. Maybe you ought to study literature and creative writing.”
Needless to say, that hurt me and almost made me quit - but like a glutton for punishment, I ignored her and continued on my venture. I studied the subjects above and I am more than qualified in my field.


SDA: If you had to do anything else but write, what would you do and why?
JL: I would teach. And I would teach English and Literature. Our youths minds need to opened up to the wonderful world of the written word. All too often, children are allowed to play their video games, listening to their ipods, forgetting about what seems to be ‘ancient’ gems like the library or book stores. And it seems to be that the only way the youths of today decide to read a book, is if there has been a movie made based on it. I think it is a shame that not more children pick up the works by the likes of Shakespeare and Poe. It is like they are being robbed of pure bliss, and that’s not forgetting their modern counterparts. The youth of today need to be encouraged to read, read, read, and if I didn’t write, then I’d be the soldier at war with modern technology and its negative influences.

SDA: You mentioned your children, as a mother myself I love watching my children create. Have any of your children started to show a creative gene?
JL: Yes, my eldest son Kristopher is quite a creative soul. He and a school friend have started up their own comic line -KNC Comics. They base it all on Ninja Stickmen. It’s quite ingenious when you sit down and read them. They have a long way to go, but it is already very promising. My only daughter Kelly-Marie writes, although they are more non-fiction memoirs, I encourage her all the same. She is only ten and already has a love for the written word.

SDA: If there was one thing that you think is a common misconception about writers/authors, what would it be?
JL: A common misconception about writers is that non-fiction writing lacks creativity or any real thought process- which couldn’t be further from the truth. Why, because, writing non-fiction requires a degree of imagination where an author must be able to focus on more focal points, bringing the imagery in a way to the reader, that coincides with the actual events they are portraying. Another, is that good writers are an authority on the subject that they are writing about. Not always the case, authors use their mind and push boundaries where certain subjects matter. They spend hours researching, fine tuning their work, making it the best possible volume of their work.


SDA: And on that track, in your opinion, what's the biggest myth you've discovered when it comes to writing?
JL: There are tons, but one that springs to mind is how long it takes to write a book. Some people assume, I lock myself away in a room and write for a week or two and then produce a completed, polished draft ready for publication. This couldn’t be further from the truth. On average, to do a first draft normally takes me between 5-6 weeks [remember I have four children], then editing that draft, which sees me another 2 weeks. Then I produce my 2nd draft, edit, submit- which again sees me another four weeks down the line. So, all in all, it takes a good 12 weeks to produce a finished MS, worthy of the editor. So, it was a big wake up call when I started to do this professionally.


SDA: That’s a great one and very true. I always felt I didn’t have the time, that I didn’t have years to dedicate to writing a book and I wrote and published in 9 months. Also with my writing I’m curious if I’m the only weird one with things I do so when writing characters do you prefer to have a focal point of someone that in your mind looks like them like a model, actor etc., or do you just let your mind create an image?
JL: Absolutely not. I would find it hard to focus on my character if I had swirling images of a hot actor/model roaming around in my head. I tend to create my own visions of how I see my characters. I like to play with them, toy with their image and when final draft is completed, I tend to be very pleased with how they come across to my readers.

SDA: If someone came to you and said wow I really want to write and don't know where to begin, what advice would you give them?
JL: I say to them to carry a journal with you at all times - you never know when inspiration will come. Join some form of writing group, whether it is in your local library, online forums, just something where you can converse with like minded people, swap ideas and predominately encourage you every step of the way. But last but not least. Write, write and write. Just keep doing what you love, it is what drives you as an author.

SDA: Well Julieanne, thank you for spending time with me and my readers today. In closing, something I'm asking all my aspiring authors is that if you could ask other authors one question what would it be?
JL: How do you control the urge to procrastinate? I am the worst and I find it God damned hard avoiding the sofa, green tea and chocolate and not always in the order.




HAHAHA! I will have an answer in my opinion below for you.
If any of you have answers or guidance for Julieanne please comment below.  You can also stay in contact with her or learn more about her and her work through the resources below:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Julieanne-Lynch-Aspiring-Writer/145953762097490

http://ysoriel.livejournal.com/

http://julieannelynch.blogspot.com/
 

2 comments:

  1. I have gotten into some pretty heated debates with people because they say they suffer from Writer's Block and I say there is no such thing because it is only procrastination/distractions.

    I had to make an honest effort to avoid procrastinating to finish my book. In a house that is a zoo at best (four kids under the age of 10 to give you a mental image), I had to unplug from the internet. It was the biggest help. I had to train myself to ignore the menial conversations between the children and listen for the "I'm bleeding" cry. HAHA. Internet was my biggest thing to stay away from. I had to unhook the laptop from the internet and leave my phone in another room. Otherwise I would have been on Facebook and Pogo all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Samantha for taking the time out to interview me. I enjoyed it and I can tell you, you put me on the spot with a few of those questions. But nonetheless, it was AWESOME.

    And I totally dig what you say above, the internet is our downfall, especially social utilities. I swear they are addictive. How on earth did we cope before all this technology? ;)

    ReplyDelete